Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Why Not Build a Mosque?

Ever since the story about the plans to build a mosque near the former World Trade Center broke, I have had mixed feelings. On the one hand, I completely agree with President Obama's first comments on the mosque:

"This is America, and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakable. The principle that people of all faiths are welcome in this country, and will not be treated differently by their government, is essential to who we are.”

And I don't agree with Newt Gingrich who compares Muslims to Nazis and claims that building a mosque near Ground Zero is like "putting a Nazi swastika next to the Holocaust Museum". He clearly blames all Muslims for the actions of a few. For the record that is racism Mr. Gingrich.

But something about building a mosque in that immediate area does make me uncomfortable. I don't think it's against the law. I do think people have a right to religious freedom. I understand that they got a good deal on the real estate. The best analogy I can think of is the following:

It's like wearing a red dress to a funeral.

It's not illegal, but it shows a lack of respect for the community. It might be a really nice dress that you got a good deal on, but it's inappropriate.

It's not up to us to tell someone she/he can't wear the red dress. But that person can't expect everyone to celebrate that decision and to simply overlook the obvious disrespect or lack of awareness that it entails.

That's my gut. Can't help it. Does that make me racist? Anti-religion? Anti-freedom? Maybe. But I think it just means I'm sensitive and while there are a lot of times when people need to stand up for their rights, there are also a lot of times when we have to respect the situation and simply not push our needs above those of the community.

No comments:

Post a Comment